Cabrera, Dominican Republic, is a town in María Trinidad Sánchez province, Dominican Republic. It is located at the eastern end of the county’s north coast, at the western extreme of the Bahía Escocesa, 130 kilometers north of Santo Domingo. It is a small town with little tourism infrastructure. Cabrera is one of the sections that along with Rio San Juan, Nagua, El Factor form the province.
The town was originally named ‘Tres Amarras’, the name it used to be called since its foundation day on July 1, 1891. The city was renamed to ‘Cabrera’ in honor of the hero of the Capotillo Battle, General José Cabrera. Today Cabrera has a territorial area of 276 km². With a population of over 39,000, Cabrera unlike most towns located on the coasts does not depend so much on tourism. Cabrera’s main source of income is cattle, meat, and milk. In the agricultural aspect, production of coconuts and rice are noticeable sources as well.
Cabrera is considered one of the most beautiful places in the Dominican Republic. Located facing the Atlantic, Cabrera has one of the most beautiful beaches, rivers, exotic vegetation and many natural attractions. A National Park reserve is located in El Breton, a small section of Cabrera called Cabo Frances Viejo.
Cabrera’s mainstream religion is the Christian Evangelic Church; this is not true for most towns in the island since Catholicism is the official religion in the Dominican Republic. However, Cabrera has a prominent and recently renovated Catholic church located in the city center.
The most attractive beach in the area is Playa Grande (Big Beach), cited by Condé Nast Traveler as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Other local beaches include Playa Precioso, El Diamante (Diamond Beach), Playa La Entrada, El Caleton de Dario, El Caleton del Medio, and El Caleton Chiquito.